Part-Time Taproom Staff
Job Title: Part-Time Taproom Staff
Location: Switchyard Brewing Company (419 N Walnut St, Bloomington, Ind. 47404)
Base Pay: Company-guaranteed $15/hr for the first 90 days, eligible for benefits, and a company-guaranteed wage of $16.25 / hr after a 90-day probationary period.
Employee Type: Part-Time
Our Part-Time Taproom Staff are the main driving force behind Switchyard! Our front of house taproom coworkers are the “boots on the ground” front-customer facing representatives of Switchyard and are the beginning of the Switchyard experience.
Whether you are working in the taproom, at an offsite event, at a beer festival or just helping with whatever needs done that day, you are tasked with ensuring that every customer, vendor and guest feels the energy that we bring to the taproom every single day.
Part-Time Taproom Staff are responsible, along with our Taproom Team Leaders and the Hospitality Director for opening and closing the taproom, counting drawers, setting up for private events, bartending both on and off site events, attending off-site beer festivals, sanitizing and cleaning, pouring draft beer and wine, being a brand-ambassador for our brand, and teaching guests about Switchyard beer and the brewing process. Don’t worry — we teach you everything you need to know!
To learn more about this position, feel free to stop into the taproom and talk to any of our team, we would love to share our experiences with you!
- Must be able to relocate up to 50 lbs
- Bending, stooping, walking and standing for long periods at a time
- Must be able to ascend/descend ladders
- Attends shift huddles and occasional/scheduled meetings
- Participates in other projects and committees as needed
- Participates in yearly growth/continuing education
The Success Patterns for this position are:
- Has a passion for great customer service and community
- Occasional off-site events work requires you to have a driver’s license and a safe driving record
- Be willing to learn and grow throughout your employment with us
- Must be able to work nights and weekends
Some things we want you to know:
- You will work in very close proximity to other people
- A working vehicle and a safe driving record are requirements for this position.
- We drink lots of REALLY good beer & wine and you’ll get to take some home (part of learning)
- We work as a team and we all do whatever it takes
- We work in an environment of mutual respect
- We believe that “fun” is part of the work experience
Successful Candidates will have the following Personal Characteristics:
- Passionate about great food and great service
- Well organized and able to multi-task
- Ability to multi-task
- Self-motivated, especially under pressure
- High level of integrity and honesty
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Flexible and hardworking
- Ability to accept direction and constructive criticism from others
- Able to set priorities
- Able to effectively manage their emotions in the workplace
OUR PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS ARE:
- Prepares drink orders for guests — accurately and under pressure
- Arrives on time for all shifts, meetings and classes
- Prepares the taproom for opening according to opening checklist
- Efficiently & accurately cleans equipment and supplies
- Follows and upholds all of Switchyard’s standards.
- Ability to participate in team-oriented problem solving
- Ensures that all food meets quality and presentation standards.
- Completes Training Passport within the stated timeframes and continues to live the Switchyard Training Compact.
- Maintains a pristine work area
- Effectively communicates and works with all staff at Switchyard
- Maintains positive and consistent energy and productivity standards throughout the entire shift.
- Work both onsite and offsite events as directed by the Hospitality & Events Director
100% NOT DEPENDENT ON TIPS (AKA, TIP-FREE CULTURE)
In August of 2021, we made the decision to convert to a 100% tip-free culture in the taproom. What does that look like in real life? Well, it’s pretty simple. Customers do not have to tip if they don’t want to. We never expect a tip, but if a customer feels compelled to express their appreciation in the form of a tip, our non-management co-workers split those tips based on the number of work hours every two weeks.
Switchyard believes businesses should be responsible for their workers’ wages, not the whim of the customer. We chose to do this so that our taproom staff are able to afford to work weekdays, opening shifts, and slow days, because let’s face it – not every day is a busy Friday night, but we still need great folks to provide an awesome experience to our customers. It also means that our coworkers are being fairly compensated for “side work” such as bussing tables, cleaning up, setting up or tearing down for events, etc that aren’t “tipped” work. Our coworkers deserve a living wage they can count on. Besides, tipping is unfair, sexist, rooted in discrimination, incentivizes poor scheduling practices, and just isn’t reliable. Read more about why we stopped being dependent on tips in our taproom here.
Full-time coworkers enjoy Unlimited Vacation. Unlimited vacation time helps us achieve our work-life balance by supporting personal well-being through time with family and friends.
Full-time coworkers are eligible for a yearly travel stipend to use in conjunction with a planned vacation
PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
We are a family business and believe strongly in both parents being given the opportunity to start their family bond from birth. We provide one month of paid parental leave, including adoption leave.
COWORKER MEALS AND DISCOUNTS
Coworkers receive a shift meal during or after their shift and receive 30% off the posted menu price on food and discounted beer, including a complimentary weekly growler fill-up.
COWORKER SHIFT BEER
A hard day’s work is deserving of a cold beer! Coworkers 21+ are welcome to a pint on the house after their shift.
All Switchyard coworkers, regardless of work location complete paid training prior to starting in their individual roles. Get paid to learn about and taste beer, wine, and pizza – awesome!
MEDICAL, DENTAL, VISION INSURANCE, URGENT CARE & MENTAL HEALTH BENEFITS
Switchyard provides every coworker a free, unlimited urgent care and mental health benefit starting on the 90th day of employment.
For full-time coworkers, Switchyard provides and contributes to their healthcare/vision/dental premiums.
PAID TIME OFF & VOLUNTEER-PAID TIME OFF
Part-time coworkers can earn V-PTO (Volunteer Paid Time Off) by participating in volunteer efforts throughout our community. Two hours of volunteer time equals one hour of VPTO.
Since we are tip-free, all of our Part-Time staff are able to enjoy Paid Time Off, which 30 hours are front-loaded and available after 90 days of service.
COWORKER OUTINGS & GET-TOGETHERS
We work hard together and love to foster our relationships by playing together too! You can look forward to an annual boat day, camping trip, canoeing, movie and game nights, and baseball/football tailgates!